Learn a Little HTML

You do not actually need to know how to write any HTML in order to write for Textbroker, but some clients will want or expect a limited amount of HTML. Some of this can be done using tools supplied by the Textbroker interface, but it is a really good idea to learn a small amount of HTML yourself. It makes it a lot easier to work with the tools they do have and it opens up opportunities to take on articles that require a bit more HTML than you can insert using the buttons Textbroker supplies.

Here is Textbroker's own tutorial on using the "insert link" button. Their "insert link" button creates code that causes the link to open in the same window. There is a way to code it so that it opens in a different window, but I haven't yet run into a client specifically requesting that.

In addition to inserting links, they have buttons for bolding, italicizing, underlining and for creating bulleted lists. I never even remember that they have a button for underlining because I never use it. However, I routinely use the buttons for bolding and creating bulleted lists. I occasionally also italicize something.

I know how to hand code all that, but the buttons are easier to use and using them reduces mistakes. Code is very finicky. If you make a typo, it completely breaks and won't work at all. So you need to be very exacting when you write code snippets.

You can search for the phrase "learn HTML online free" and come up with a number of sources. My go to source is w3schools. Because I run multiple blogs, I sometimes need more complicated code than I ever need when writing for Textbroker. I do sometimes do an online search for that reason and that sometimes takes me someplace like answers to questions on Stack Overflow. But for really basic stuff, I like the resources at w3schools.

When you press the "preview" button on Textbroker, it will check your code and offer to autocorrect it. This is an extremely nice feature, but it really helps to understand a little bit about how the code actually works. Otherwise, it might correct your code into something you didn't intend and you may not readily know how to make it do what you actually were trying to do. This can cause a lot of rework to happen if you are entirely reliant on the buttons because you don't actually understand the code itself.

Because I have been blogging for many years, I already knew some HTML before I began working for Textbroker. I don't know tons of HTML, but I know a lot more than I need for doing Textbroker work. At some point, I expect to also blog on this site about making money writing via avenues other than Textbroker. Textbroker is currently my main source of earned income, but I also make some money blogging and some money polishing resumes and I have done one commissioned article with a byline.

If you also want to blog as a means to make money writing online, you can consider learning a small amount of HTML for Textbroker work to be an easy introduction to the topic. It can help lay the groundwork for learning more HTML if you ever blog. Even with blogging via BlogSpot, which also has buttons for inserting links and the like, I use far more HTML when writing blog posts than for writing for Textbroker.

I don't need nor use a lot of markup and I like BlogSpot because it is so much more plug-and-play than Word Press was, but I still find myself having to correct things or tweak things on a routine basis. I can't imagine successfully blogging with zero knowledge of HTML.

Comments